If you always dreamt of visiting a city that is rich culturally then better not waste any time and head towards the wonderful capital of Colombia, Bogotá.
Bogotá is a major cultural center of Latin America and is the largest city of Colombia. The city is a perfect amalgamation of the ancient churches and the modern towering buildings. Whether you are hankering after a bustling city life or want to spend your vacations in sightseeing in a calm environment, this is the right place for you.
Places To Visit
• La Candelaria should be on top of your itinerary since it is home to a large number of colonial churches and museums. Once you are here, make sure you pay a visit to the beautiful Santa Clara Church near Plaza de Bolivar.
• Simon Bolivar is one of the most popular parks in Bogotá and a tourist hub as well. It’s a great place to enjoy some kite flying or if you like, you can just stroll around and release your tensions.
• Botanical Gardens should be your next stop. The spectacular verdant grounds of botanical gardens are something that cannot be missed out on at any cost. The entrance fee is a mere $1.00. You can also eat a delicious meal here at reasonable prices.
• Monserrate is a mountain in Bogotá and also a tourist-flooded spot since you can get a panoramic view of the city from here. Plus, there is a church at its peak. You can either take a cable car or if your health allows you could walk up to the hilltop.
Things To Do
• Pay a visit to the popular El Museo del Oro which exhibits a huge number of gold artifacts.
• In case you are an art connoisseur, don’t forget to make an excursion to the Botero Museum which displays works of Picasso, Renoir, and Matisse etc.
• Since the city has numerous libraries as well, you surely need to explore the most famous ones at least, like the Virgilio Barco Library, El Tunal, and El Tintal.
• Do take a ride on the traditional horse-drawn carriages to explore the city.
• Make a tour to one of the innumerable spa centers of the city.
Shopping and Sports
Make sure you visit La Candelaria if you are looking for some antique shopping. The Town Center is crammed with numerous clothing stores, jewelry stores, bookshops, and music shops. Besides these, Unicentro is another wonderful shopping plaza. For sports fans, there is the famous indoor arena, Coliseo Cubierto El Campin. You can also enjoy golf, soccer, and horse riding in Bogota.
Nightlife in Bogotá
Bogotá is known for its exciting nightlife all over the world. You will find a large number of clubs, bars, and pubs in the city. However, the most famous ones are; Bar Venus, Disco Bar Salome Pagana and Hard Rock café Bogotá.
Ibero-American theater festival is one of the most famous performing arts festivals held after every 2 years in either March or April. Bogotá’s Carnival (August 6) is also very popular with the tourists as it comprises of Masquerades, dances, and parades. Summer festival and Rock al Parque are the other two enthralling festivals.